Monday, February 15, 2010

Introduction: Work Force Inequality

On my blog over the course of this semester I plan to discus poverty and inequality that minorities, especially women, face globally. In many poor countries minorities face much harsher treatment, however, although it is harder to recognize in the United States, inequality still exists. Along with that I hope to question why the things are the way they are, including what social factors contribute to such unfair and cruel treatment. I plan to recognize that women in the workplace are treated inferior and less competent than the dominate social group, white men, and because of that they are treated poorly in the workplace and paid less than men, ultimately lacking the ability to support their families.

Here is a link to a website that encompasses a pamphlet that has steered me in the direction I hope to take on this subject.
http://www.weforum.org/pdf/Global_Competitiveness_Reports/Reports/gender_gap.pdf

I am writing on this subject because as a woman I have sympathy towards other women who are lacking the respect in the workplace simply because of their gender and the social stereotypes that are attached to it. I want to expose the unfairness that continues throughout this world in order to inform others on this topic.

This topic connects to many of the themes that this class plans to discuss over the course of the semester. For example, the ways in which social inequality is perpetuated through social institutions reflect the economic inequality and the vision that lives are considered unimportant.

Throughout my discussion on this subject, I hope to not only get valuable information that can broaden my education, but to connect with other members in my class and share information with them. I will be pleased, because in this way I am not only learning, I am educating others which is what must be done in order to solve or at least help prevent inequality and discrimination in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment